Chronicle of the Eden Hotel Wolff
In 1890 the so called “Salzstraße” was renamed to “Arnulfstraße” according to the youngest son of “Prince Regent Luitpold”. The Bavarian Capital Munich was still quiet and sleepy. In this year the business man Carl O. Wolff from Plauen decided to buy the property No.4 in the Arnulfstraße, restored it completely and opened the “Hotel Wolff”. This was well planned, especially as 11 years before the construction of a new train station exactly opposite the hotel had started which should emphasize Munich’s importance as a Royal Residency
In 1919, after World War I, the Munich Stengel family bought the Art Nouveau building and turned the hotel into one of the most popular meeting points of Munich’s society during the 1920’s.
World economic crisis, war and bomb attacks
Successful years supported improvements and upgrades of the hotel, however, there were also years of inflation and the world depression at the end of the 1930’s which had to be survived. During World War II during the years 1944/45 the hotel was severely damaged by air raids and its most beautiful Art Nouveau dining room was completely destroyed. After the war the reconstruction started and the restaurant could be re-opened in 1948. The opening of the hotel followed 1950 – just in time for the passion plays in Oberammergau.
In 1953 the Stengel family purchased the neighbouring property Eden Hotel which was destroyed as well during the war. 1955 a quite impressive new hotel building was completed and combined with the Hotel Wolff, hence the new name “Eden Hotel Wolff”. In this new building the “Europa-Filmtheater”, a cinema for movies in English, was integrated.
In 1987 the rooms of the cinema became part of the hotel again. Due to this it was possible to enlarge the hotel lobby and to extend the offer of conference facilities. The hotel’s largest conference room, the Europa-Saal, was introduced and formally opened at the hotel’s 100th anniversary in 1990. An extensive reorganization of the hotel lobby and the hotel bar, Kaminbar, was finished as well
Restaurant – popular meeting place for the elegant Munich society
From the very beginning the hotel restaurant was a part of the Eden Hotel Wolff. Its beautiful dining room in Art Nouveau quickly became a popular meeting place for the elegant Munich society. Unfortunately a large part of the hotel building including the restaurant was destroyed in the last months of World War II due to a massive bombing of the station area. In 1948 the restaurant was re-opened.
Its original name „Zirbelstube“ the restaurant owes the pine-wood that in its present natural shade gives the restaurant a very special atmosphere – a blend of elegance and rustic charm. The „Tonne“, a vault adjoining the main restaurant, conveys with its decoration Bavarian tradition. In the back of the restaurant there is the Rembrandt Room. It has come through disregarding the ravages of war and therefore is the only room of the hotel still being in the original state from the year of foundation. The Rembrandt Room offers separated from the daily restaurant activity and in the face of noblemen taken portraits of by Rembrandt an elegant setting as well for family celebrations as for business lunches. In 2015 on the occasion of the hotel’s 125th anniversary the former restaurant „Zirbelstube“ was renamed to „Peter & Wolff“.
The Eden Hotel Wolff and as well its restaurant still are a popular destination for anyone seeking a central meeting point in Munich. The proximity to the railway station and the connection to all public transports and the airport shuttle bus make it even for non-locals easy to find.